Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Love Chapter (Remix)


And now I will show you the most beautiful way.

If I build a church that's larger than a football stadium but I don't love people the way God does, I am nothing.

If I write books that sell millions of copies and made Oprah's favorites list, but don't love my enemies, then I am worth nothing.

If I have a Television show where I take money from the elderly and the weak-minded and twist the scriptures around to promise endless health and a faith without suffering, then I am not of Christ.

Love is not violent. It does not kill. It does not carry a weapon. Love does not shed blood, unless it is bleeding for the sake of others.

Love is not arrogant. It does not insult. It does not carry a sign full of hateful words. Love never causes others to doubt God's goodness and mercy.

Love always transforms, always serves, always gives, always kneels down to touch the outcast, the homeless, the orphan, and the sick. Love washes the feet of the proud and the broken alike.

Love does not withhold mercy from those who do not deserve it. Love freely rains down goodness and relief and hope upon the hopeless.

But where there are wars, they will cease.
Where there is violence, there will be peace.
Where there is hate, it will pass away.

For we know full well that our Lord Jesus Christ has commanded us not to kill, and we know
that He spoke to us of loving our enemies, and turning the other cheek, and walking the extra mile, and blessing those who curse us, and doing good to those who hate us, and laying down our lives for others, and loving our neighbor - even if that neighbor hates us with all of his heart.

When I was a non-disciple, I thought like one, and I acted like one. But when I became a follower of the Prince of Peace, I put away violent things.

Now, we see but a poor reflection of Christ in ourselves, and in the Church, but one day we will see Him in our own face, and in one another, more clearly.

And now, these three remain: Hate, Arrogance and Love. And the greatest of these remains to be seen.

Amen.


-kg
11/16/13; 4:45 a.m.

4 comments:

Clay Feet said...

I very much need this today. Thanks so much. But my OCD is trying to figure out what 'love does not without mercy' mean.

Laudio said...

I love this. I think I'm going to use one or two of your sentences for my email signature this week (with attribution, though i think you wouldn't care).

I believe you meant, "Love does not withhold mercy from those who do not deserve it," correct?

JEANNETTE'S JOY said...

Keith, good writing. Enjoyed how you took I Corinthians 13 and modeled the topic and even the rhythym after the scripture. Love is the key - always is - always will be, of course besides our Lord and Savior. Thank you for sharing dear brother in Christ. Great to see your blog! Jeannette LeHoullier (formerly Flander) my blog "Jeannette's Joy" jeannettesjoy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Dude, what a blessing you are. You rock!