Thursday, September 02, 2010

OUR IDEA OF FAITH VERSUS GOD'S IDEA OF FAITH

Our idea of Faith:

To believe that what the Bible says is true and to agree with doctrines that our church upholds as truth.

God’s idea of Faith:

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder." – (James 2:14-19)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith... Very thought provoking. I believe the contrast between our interpretation and God's is a wonderful way to point out how we often fall short of attempting to live a Christian life. Well done.

You may want to take a moment to review my blog..

http://EndueAndShine.blogspot.com

Keep up the good work!

Marc said...

Again, GREAT stuff Keith! The single most important re-definition the Church needs is PISTIS. Faith, or worse, "belief" is a poor translation. "Trust" is also very misleading. I have become convinced belief and trust are but the start of a way of life described by PISTIS which is best characterised by faithfulness or loving obedience! We need to conquer the reformation bugbear of fearing work's righteousness and rediscover virtue.