Monday, December 28, 2015

LESS THAN





In my previous post I shared how Jesus was "Greater Than" Moses, the Temple, the Law, the Prophets, the Sabbath, and everything else.

But the New Testament also tells us that Jesus is "Less Than" the Father, or at least that the Father is greater than Jesus.

"You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." - Jesus [John 14:28]
We also know that Jesus was "made a little lower than the angels" [see Hebrews 2:9] and that He "made Himself nothing, taking on the nature of a servant" [see Philippians 2:6-7] which emphasizes that, while here in human form, Jesus lowered Himself.

This astounding act of humility and weakness emphasizes what Paul the Apostle refers to as "The Power of Weakness", where God's "power is made perfect in weakness" when we lay aside our own ability and abandon confidence in ourselves - trusting instead in the "power of Christ" which is released when we - like Christ - humble ourselves, empty ourselves, and rely completely on the Father for everything. [See 2 Cor. 12:9-10]

Just like Jesus, did, by the way.

Jesus affirms that he never did anything under his own power, and that he never taught anything other than what the Father told him to say:

“These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” (John 14:24);

“For I do not speak of myself, but from the Father who sent me and commanded me what I should say and what I should speak...Therefore, whatever I speak is just as the Father tells me to speak." (John 12:49-50)

“Then Jesus answered them and said, "Truly, truly, I say to you; the Son can do nothing of himself, but only does what he sees the Father do. For whatever things he [the Father] does, these are also likewise done by the Son.” (John 5:19)

“Of my own self, I can do nothing. I judge only as I hear; and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will, but the will of the Father who has sent me.” (John 5:30)

“But so that the world may know that I love the Father, I only do exactly as the Father has instructed me to do.” (John 14:31)


Jesus was our role model - our blueprint if you will - for how to live a Kingdom life. Jesus was able to turn the other cheek, pray for His enemies, love those who were persecuting Him, and everything else simply because He had totally abandoned Himself to the Father in every way. 

This is exactly how we are called to live the Kingdom life. 

Jesus compels us to deny ourselves - our own ways of thinking and acting - and to die daily by taking up our cross and following Him [and His example] to put His words into practice.

How can we possibly do this? By abiding in Christ so that Christ can abide in us. [See John 15]

Jesus became "less than" to show us how we can live as citizens of the Kingdom today.

This means we have no more excuses when it comes to putting His words into practice. He has shown us the way, and the way is to let go of ourselves and trust completely in Him for everything.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." - Jesus [John 15:5]

-kg

NOTE: Read more in my book, "The Power of Weakness" HERE>

No comments: