Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rest In Peace, My Brother - Larry Norman 4/8/47 - 2/24/08

Larry Norman, the father of what we have come to call "Contemporary Christian Music" passed away this week.

You can read a touching last post from his deathbed at his website
HERE

I wasn't a big fan of his music. I don't own any of his albums. I couldn't sing one of his lines if I tried.

But, this man was a pioneer who took music about Jesus to the mainstream. His first three albums were on what we would call "Secular" labels. He never liked the Christianized version of the record industry he inspired. For that I applaud him.

As I read his final words, dictated from his deathbed earlier this week, I couldn't help but become tearful. Perhaps because a dear friend of mine is sitting in CCU right now on a ventilator at a nearby hospital. Perhaps because I wonder if I'll have the privilege of dictacting my last words the day before I die. Or maybe because Larry is my brother in Christ and I love him, even though I've never met him.

When one part suffers, we all suffer together.

Pray for his family.

Rest in peace, Larry.

kg

No comments: