- Frame killing as protecting or saving lives - The only way to save lives of those you love is to kill others.
- Portray the enemy as sub-human - It’s easier to kill people if you don’t identify with them or if you think of them as “evil” or as animals.
- Demand obedience to leaders - Men will do almost anything if they are under strong social pressure to comply.
- Develop the capacity for collective violence - Accentuate their fear of letting their squad down. Diffuse responsibility across the group.
- Increase the distance between the trigger and the target - It’s easier to kill from a distance with drones, missiles, bombs, etc. Talk about firing at targets, not people. Speak of sinking ships, not of drowning sailors. Frame the violence so it is an object being destroyed, not another human being.*
This is our status quo.