Thursday, August 07, 2008

UNWORTHY

When I first came to California about 15 years ago I worked as a sales rep for Diamante Music Group selling alternative and rock cd's and cassettes into Christian bookstores.

One of the guys I worked with there was Chris Singer. Today he is the pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church in Orange where I now live.

A few weeks ago Chris asked me if I'd be interested in meeting him on a Thursday morning at 6am (gulp) to pray for about an hour before I had to leave for work. His invitation humbled me and I was blessed and honored to accept his offer to meet and pray.

This morning we had our second meeting for prayer and as we were praying Chris said something that really leapt out at me. He made a comment to God about how we (pastors) are unworthy to carry the message of the Gospel and the name of Christ, yet Jesus allows us to do so anyway.

I couldn't help but think that if every Pastor in America had that same attitude our Churches would be in a lot better shape.

As I drove to work I continued to think about this. We, the "Holy Men of God", the Pastors of the flock are unworthy to carry the Gospel or bear the name of Jesus - just like everyone else.

We all need Jesus. The sinners, the losers, the drunks, the prostitutes, the homeless, the wife beaters, the apathetic, the homosexuals, the drug dealers, the pastors and the saints - all unworthy of God's Grace. All free to take it anyway.

Praise Jesus.

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." - 1 Cor 6:9-11


-kg

2 comments:

Parke said...

Great reminder, dude. I need to keep that in focus.

Mark Main said...

I can't speak as a pastor, but I can tell you that I agree completely and wish I met many more pastors who truly felt that way.