Wednesday, October 18, 2006

DAILY FAITH

Daily Faith by Keith Giles

I'm learning a very valuable lesson these days.

Jesus seems to spend a lot of his teaching ministry trying to get his followers to take things one day at a time.

He talks about praying for "daily bread", he tells his disciples that they cannot follow him unless they die to themselves and "take up their cross, daily", and he urges them not to worry about tomorrow but to trust God for all you need each day.

As for me, I'd prefer to have God provide me with "Weekly Bread", or better yet, "Yearly Bread". You know, where He would provide everything I need all at once so I could rest in comfort and avoid the anxieties of wondering where the next day's bread is coming from.

Of course, if this were the case I'd also have no need for faith. I wouldn't really need to trust God for anything because I'd already have it.

Chances are, in time, I'd also begin to forget just where my bread was coming from. Maybe I'd start to think that it was I who had actually provided all this bread. Maybe then God would become my buddy and my pal, not my Lord whom I desperately cling to for dear life.

Maybe that's why the Scriptures tell us that God's mercies are new every morning? So that we'll know that we can face each day in His strength, and not our own.

Jesus is always trying to get us to live in the here and now, not in the security of our life or the "what if?" of tomorrow.

As you may have heard before, God's name is "I Am" and He wants us to wake up each day and walk with Him, one day at a time. With our faith firmly placed in Him and our minds focused on today, not on yesterday, and not on tomorrow.

Today is all we have.

Seize the faith.

peas,
kg

No comments: