Monday, April 01, 2013

ATOMIC JESUS




On Saturday morning I woke up with the formula E=MC [squared] in my mind. I didn’t know why.

Since I couldn’t remember what “C” stood for, my wife pulled out our encyclopedia. We knew that “E” stood for “energy” and “M” stood for “mass”, but we didn’t realize that “C” stood for “the speed of light.”

I wondered if God was trying to say something to me about distance, or travelling far away, or maybe he was trying to say something about energy, or spiritual power? At any rate, I finished my breakfast and went about my day.

The next morning, around 3:00 a.m., I woke up thinking again about this formula. Specifically, I was thinking about how that equation described the process of releasing energy. For example, the relative distance between two atoms of uranium may seem very small to us, at the atomic level the distance is relatively equal to the distance between Earth and Pluto.

I also thought about how Uranium atoms were  very dense compared to other atoms, that they had mass or density about 70 times greater than atoms found in lead.

So, when two atoms of uranium, which are very dense, travel that long distance at the speed of light and collide together, the release of energy is massive. To us, their size is beyond microscopic, invisible really. Their distance apart is smaller than the width of a human hair; hardly measurable. But to those two atoms, the distance approaches infinity.

But what does any of this have to do with you and me? What does it mean? Around 3:30 a.m. on Easter Sunday morning, I suddenly realized something – this is the formula for self-destruction. It’s the formula for crucifixion.

Think about it this way: God, in the form of Jesus, leaves his throne in heaven and travels an infinite distance to the Earth. Jesus, “in whom all the fullness of the Godhead lives in bodily form”, collides with all of the sins in the entire universe upon the cross. 

Did you know the Hebrew word “Shekinah” which refers to the Glory of God also means “weight”?  So, when the full weight of God’s Glory collided with the awesome weight of our sins, it created the release of spiritual energy that was not unlike a massive atomic explosion.  

 That explosion darkened the sun. It shook the earth. It opened the graves of the dead at ground zero and brought some of them back to life again. It even ripped the veil in the temple - a three inch thick curtain - from top to bottom.  It even blew a hole in the fabric of this world big enough for mortal men to pass over into eternity on the other side.

When Jesus said, “It is finished!” there was an explosion in heaven that sent ripples throughout the universe.

Boom.

-kg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Keith!

This so reminds me of something that I previously had no reason or opportunity to share with anyone. In the same vein, sin at the moment it is brought into the light and presence of Christ is completely annihilated. It's a-maz-ing! It's like watching an exploding episode of Myth Busters but only better because there is nothing left. No fragments, no particles, no ash, no residue. Nothing. It's Gone. Completely gone.

Rob said...

Well, that's certainly a creative and different way of looking at it :)