Monday, March 26, 2007

FREEDOM DAY- POSTSCRIPT




FREEDOM DAY- Postscript

1250 people in attendance. Two local news crews. One massive community art wall. One amazing event.

My buddy Greg Russinger hit this one out of the park. I wish more churches had been there, especially those who have a stated concern for issues of justice locally here in the OC. There were several churches conspicuously absent. Otherwise, there was a lot of great information, a lot of people who went home knowing they cannot look away.

I've begun to pray about writing for the local newspaper, or the OCWeekly (a free weekly newspaper with an insane distribution count and a history of reporting on issues the local newspapers ignore). I'm sort of tired of trying to wake of the church on issues of justice (or injustice) and now I'm feeling God's call to call attention to things that grieve His heart. I need to write these stories for whoever will listen. I need to provoke the people of God to move, or to wallow in their own apathy while the pagans take steps to "do justice, and love mercy".

More on this over on the [Subversive Underground] later this week...I promise.

peas,
kg

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith, if you're going to write for a rag, the OC Weekly is it. When I lived in OC, I loved reading that paper...except for the human trafficking aspect :(

sadly, I think you'll have more luck building bridges with the OCW crowd than the Register. I've read that OC is the stingiest county in the US when it comes to philanthropy. Thanks for letting the light shine.

Brian said...

I need to write these stories for whoever will listen. I need to provoke the people of God to move, or to wallow in their own apathy while the pagans take steps to "do justice, and love mercy".

I love it!

Sadly, as I think you already know, it doesn't seem that the 'religious' Christians will open ears or arms to anything or anyone that challenges the status quo. Even more sadly, it's documented in the scriptures that this is the norm. Jesus continues to shout "Revolution!" to religious leaders and continues to be ignored and sometimes even re-crucified in the very places that bear His name.

I say use whatever method you can to preach His agenda: love. And if the church as an institution is too busy being the church to get on board, hopefully - prayerfully - the people that are the church will awaken to His cry.

Kudos to you for your efforts!

Michael O'Neill Burns said...

Keith,
I really hope you start writing for a local paper. You have a gift for words and a radical heart and I think your words could do amazing things for people.

btw...I'm going to try to get that book from paul for you. it's called how (not) to speak of God and it's by Pete Rollins. I have some mp3s of his lectures I'll send you if you want....me and paul have been having a back and forth blog war about some of the concepts and ideas featured in the book.

I'm moving back to florida after graduation (in about a month) and would love to get together for lunch or something before then.

blessings,
mike

Anonymous said...

Your a sweet man, such kind words.. I agree start writing to people that will take notice and seek to participate in the efforts of human justice.. hoe your well... And that book HOw (not) to speak of God, is truly amazing. I met Pete during the Soliton in Ireland, spent good time together, amazing mind tender heart... pick it up for sure if you havent already...
greg