Monday, January 02, 2012

What's New?

This is our opportunity to start again. We have a new day in which to take a different path. We have a new month in which to explore new possibilities. We have a new year ahead of us to exchange our old patterns and habits for better ones.


I am eager for something new. My hope is aroused at the thought of this unwritten page before me. What will tomorrow bring?


But the answer to this question lies in the moment. What becomes of my life at the end of this year will be determined by what I do - or do not do - today. Right now I hold the seed that will bear tomorrow's fruit. 


Thankfully, God is all about new beginnings. His mercies are new every morning. He longs to take the old and make it new. He has made a new covenant with the Earth. He has given us a new heart and a new spirit. He has put a new song in our hearts. He promises to  create a new heaven and a new earth. 


God loves to forget the past and to start over again. This is what Grace is all about. He forgets our failures. He looks forward to what we might become one day if we will place all our hopes in Him. He is eager for us to step into the new promises, and those promises are for right now. Today.


My thoughts lately have been on seeking His face more. I've been hearing Him call out to me to pursue Him more; to listen for His voice more; to put Him first in all things. 


I know that there is more of Christ to know than I have ever known before. I have yet to scratch the surface of His majesty. I have scarcely begun to explore His vast and limitless heart. There is more of Him to know than I know. But He invites me to search. He is calling me to seek Him first. He has promised me that if I will seek Him, I will find more of Him than I can fathom.


This calling on my heart does not come without a price. It will mean letting go of some things that do not matter, and some things which should not matter but sadly have become more important to me than they should. I must release my grip on those empty, broken things. But, the joy that I will find in Him is worth the loss of such worthless things. For every small thing I drop into the dirt, He will fill me with exponentially more joy and peace. This is a worthwhile exchange.


What I must lose most of all is myself. My pride. My status. My position. My ego. My dreams. My plans. My fame. All of these must go so that I might make room for more of Jesus in my heart. 


But this process begins right now. Today I have to seek Him. Today I have to let go. This is my tomorrow, right now. And it's all brand new.


-kg




"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: The old has gone, the new is here!" - 2 Corinthians 5:17

"I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh." - Ezekiel 11:19

"He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” - Revelation 21:5

No comments: