Monday, February 23, 2009

LAST NIGHT'S OSCARS & MORE

A few random thoughts to share...

WATCHING THE OSCARS: ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER

Watching the Oscars last night and I loved how the nominees for best actor and actress were each honored individually by past Oscar winners. It brought most of them to tears as they were singled out and honored for their talents and gifts. Even those who didn't win were given a moment in the spotlight and were encouraged and affirmed in their art, their ability and their talent.

I suppose it doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt or Meryl Streep, or Joe Nobody - When someone publicly affirms you and values you and points out your unique qualities, your heart is filled and you feel loved.

Can't help thinking that this is what our churches should be like. We should take the time to stand in front of everyone and point out the best in one another and value each other as equals within a special family and revel in the exclusive club we are all blessed to be a part of.

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" - 1 John 3:1

**
CREATIVE FORCES

Over the weekend some friends got together and shared poetry, stories, artwork, and songs together. I was overwhelmed to discover the intense creativity within each person who shared. Most of it was breath-taking and excellent. None of it was cheesy or half-hearted.

We laughed, we wiped away tears, we applauded, and we were genuinely amazed at the amount of talent embodied in that room.

Everyone agreed that it was better than church, but that it was, in essence, "Church".

I also loved that no one asked me to lead in prayer, or to get things started, or to facilitate anything. It was refreshing to "be the Church" and not be the guy in charge at all.

We're looking forward to doing it again soon.

**
FULL CIRCLE?

About six years ago I was at Ingram Micro, hating my technical spreadsheet job and writing sci-fi stories and creating comics to fulfill my creative side. I eventually left that job to enter "full-time ministry" and go on-staff at a church-plant and a local non-profit. About the same time, I also stepped away from my sci-fi/creative stuff and started writing for the Kingdom, which is where this whole Subversive blog and weekly [SU] e-newsletter thing started.

After 3 years of working for non-profit and churches, I realized that what I wanted was to get a real job in the real world, start a house church where 100% of the offering could go to the poor, and let my "full-time ministry" be my life.

So, I started that house church and went to work again for Ingram Micro again, this time as a copywriter in their marketing department. Now I love my job working with regular, everyday people. I have also felt recently that I need to lay down my [SU] e-newsletter (which have produced 2 books and hundreds of articles), in order to start pursuing more creative writing like poetry, fiction and yes, even sci-fi.

Is my life going full circle or am I simply going in circles?

**

No comments: