Wednesday, August 26, 2015

“THE SKY IS [NOT] FALLING”



You’ve no doubt heard all about the looming threat of Obama's third term, the Jade Helm conspiracy, Secret FEMA prison camps being built in the southwest and other outrageous claims being made by certain groups of people who want you to remain in a constant state of fear.

I see these articles and links being shared on social media on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis. It’s a non-stop barrage of “Lions and tigers and bears!” [Oh, my] And it’s driving me a little crazy.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been around a while longer than most of you, I don’t know. But I remember hearing these exact same claims when I was in my Twenties, only the claims were made about Clinton and the Liberal Agenda. Now they’ve just recycled the narrative and dropped in Obama’s name, because fear works.

 All of those articles about constant conspiracies are simply about employing fear to motivate people to support their agenda, give to their cause, or polarize a voting block. I have a standing offer to pay $100 to anyone who shares these alarmist posts with the challenge that if they actually come to pass I will pay them, but if it never comes to pass, they pay me. It’s both a practical way to force the issue of credibility on those who propagate these claims, and honestly, a potential way for me to earn a little extra spending money. 

But, of course, none of these people have taken me up on the offer. So, the date of the ominous event comes and goes without any incident – as we’ve seen with the Jade Helm nonsense, and all the ludicrous claims about Obama’s first – and second term – and instead of learning from all of this, people will just jump over to the next big conspiracy and scream “The sky is falling” once again.

I have a copy of the book “88 Reasons Why The Rapture Will Occur In 1988” in my garage. It’s full of very convincing reasons [88 of them] but it’s also dead wrong. And we could say the same about Harold Camping, and Hal Lindsey, and Hagee's "Blood Moon" hype. 

What concerns me most of all is that Christians are the ones most often waving this flag around. It makes us look stupid. It makes us appear irrational. Most of all, it demonstrates to the World that we are driven by – and motivated most – by fear.

Jesus commands us not to fear. The New Testament clarifies that fear is not what motivates us; it’s love. And it’s also very clear that you can’t be filled with the love of Christ and be fearful at the same time:

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” [1 Jn 4:18]

Please, for the love of God [literally], stop being driven by fear. Instead, turn your eyes on Jesus. Put your hope in Him. Trust Him with everything. Let go of your fear and embrace the Lord who is in control.

The sky is not falling. The sky is the limit and love is what lifts us higher.

Let's fly.

-kg


“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” ~Jesus (John 14:27)

1 comment:

the alternative1 said...

Right on Keith that's why I deactivated my facebook account--I got sick of all the bull honkie stuff--lets get real and fly!