Wednesday, May 15, 2013

KEEP THE UNITY OF THE BODY


 
In a recent correspondence with another brother in Christ, the question of unity in the Body came up. Specifically, there was a difference of opinion in his house church group over a certain doctrine. He had one opinion, fueled by articles written by respected New Testament scholars. His brother in the fellowship had another opinion, also fueled by articles and sermons provided by respected Christian teachers.

While I agree with one side of that argument, my main concern was for the unity of that fellowship. Since I’m certain that he is not alone in this regard, I thought it might be helpful to share my response with everyone, in the hopes that there might be more unity in the house churches.

Here’s how I responded to my friend:
I'd encourage all of you guys not to spend any time when you are together arguing about the things you disagree on. In our group all of us disagree on many things, but we do not spend our time talking about what we disagree about. Instead, we spend our time together working to see Jesus and experience Him in our midst.

Remember, we are not "One" in our doctrines or opinions, and I for one don't believe we ever will be. According to the New Testament, our unity is in Christ. Not in our doctrines or theories, but only in Christ are we "One".

"...for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:27-29

So, if you strive for unity in these doctrines you won't find it, I'm afraid. If you strive for unity in Christ, you will find it because He is the One who brings unity, and reconciliation, and love. We're the ones who bring differences and opinions and arguments.
Leave those arguments at home. When you gather, take hold of Jesus. Focus on Him. Talk to Him. Worship Him. Magnify Him. Glorify Him. Set your eyes on Him. The rest of that stuff will fade into the background.

If you want to discuss these issues together, do that one-on-one over coffee and don't drag that into the ekklesia. That's my advice.
-kg

2 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

awesome advice!!! :)

Marshall said...

may no one underestimate the indelible unity we have & hold in Christ.