Friday, April 03, 2009

SIMPLE

I woke up this morning in Orlando. It's my third and final day here. In a few hours I will catch my shuttle to the airport, pass through security in my socks and (eventually) line up to board the first of two flights back home to California.

It was my hope that, while on this business trip, I would be able to relax and take time to hear God's voice. Specifically, about what I might do with my time, talent and energies now that I've laid down my weekly e-newsletter after over 3 years. My cry has been, "What's next?"

So far I've been able to watch a lot of cable television, eat some great food, and meet a lot of new people. Yesterday afternoon I had about 40 minutes time in my room to power down and seek God's face. I sat in the darkness of the room and waited. I listened. I waited some more. Then I got dressed and went back downstairs to keep working.

Maybe, I wondered, maybe all I needed to do here was to take a break? Maybe all that I needed to do was to rest and cleanse the pallete and take a deep breath? Maybe...

This morning I laid in bed, the early morning light barely softening into the room, and I heard this simple thought: Being about the Father's business and doing what the Father is doing is simply about loving people wherever you find them.

Hmmm...

I got up before the alarm went off. Got dressed. Packed my bags and went downstairs to grab some coffee and a doughnut.

Maybe it really is that simple? Maybe my next big project is actually just a simple, daily decision to look for people who need to know the love of God and attempt to show them that love, or encouragement, or hope, as best I can? Maybe...

So, today that's my goal. I will do my best to keep my eyes open for what God is doing wherever I am. In the general session of this corporate conference, in the shuttle on the way to the airport, in line at security, on my flights back home, and in my own home and family when I return home tonight.

God is always doing something, and the main thing He is always doing is loving people and blessing them and encouraging them. If I am to be about my Father's business, if I am to "only do what I see the Father doing", then this is also what I will be doing today.

It's pretty simple, in theory. Let's see how it works out in practice.


Peace,
Keith

No comments: