Monday, August 12, 2013

WELCOME HOME



Our family has been doing a lot of travelling this summer. One long trip via airplane to visit family in another State. One long drive to see the Grand Canyon with my parents. One short drive up to the mountains to camp out with some friends.

I hate long trips.

Oh, I enjoy seeing family and hanging out with friends. I love getting away from work and winding down and taking a deep breath of fresh air. Really, I do. But I find that leaving home stresses me out. I get concerned about the trip itself; being safe, breaking down, getting stranded. I worry a little about the trip home; being safe, breaking down, getting stranded.

The best part of any trip, for me, is coming home. The idea of home is a beautiful thing. The word itself. The way it sounds in my mouth. The way it brings peace to my heart. I love going home.

I love sleeping in my own bed. I love the smell of my own pillow. I love the feel of those cool sheets. I love using my own bathroom, taking a shower in my own house. I love drinking coffee from my own cup.

I love seeing the familiar sights as we get nearer to home; the landmarks, the horizon, the street signs, the favorite restaurants.

Home is where the heart is, some say, and I believe it’s true.

Do you know where God calls home? In Isaiah 66, God makes a revealing statement:

“Thus saith the Lord, ‘The heavens are my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house you will build for me? And where will my resting place be?” (Isaiah 66:1)

You might be tempted to say that God lives in a temple, or a church, but that’s not so. As Paul explains:

“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.” (Acts 17:24)

No, God does not live in any building. He lives within His people. We are His Temple. We are His Home.

“But Christ is faithful as the Son over God's house. And we are his house, if indeed we hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory.” (Hebrews 3:6)

“Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?” (1 Cor. 3:16)

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you..” (1 Cor. 6:19)

How wonderful is that? God could dwell anywhere, and yet His choice is your heart and mine. He longs for home and His home is with you.

 

-kg

 

1 comment:

the alternative1 said...

yep that's what Christianity means in its rightful definition-Christ in you or another words Yahweh at home in you