Wednesday, December 19, 2012

RESTING IN THE ONE WHO RESTS IN ME



"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matt.11:28)

As I've been reflecting lately on the Sabbath rest of God that we are promised in Hebrews chapter 4, and throughout the scriptures, it has occurred to me that this idea of rest isn't just about us.

Our resting place is in Christ, but where is God's resting place?

“Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be?" (Isaiah 66:1)


We know that when King David wanted to build a house for God he was told that God would build Himself an acceptable dwelling place, and He promised to accomplish this through the Messiah who would come from David's lineage.

But when Jesus arrived there was already a very glorious Temple standing in the center of Jerusalem. So, what Temple did Jesus build? He built the acceptable house "not made with human hands" that is made of "living stones" - the Church. We are the temple of God. We are His resting place.

"In that day the Root of Jesse [the Messiah] will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious." (Isaiah 11:10)Where does God dwell? In His Father's House, or in the household of God, which is the Church.

"I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth." (1 Timothy 3:15)

"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household." (Ephesians 2:18-20)


"Christ is the Lord over his own house, whose house we are if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end." (Hebrews 3:6)

So, while you and I find rest in Christ, the beautiful symmetry of this is that God finds His rest in us.

"If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode (dwelling) with him." (John 14:23)

The beautiful thing, to me, is that I am resting in the One who is resting in me. His greatest desire is to find a home in my heart, and my joy is found in resting within His loving arms.

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God." (Revelation 21:1-3)

You and I were made to provide an acceptable resting place for the Creator of the Universe. He has prepared a place for us within Himself where we can know we are loved and at rest.

Together, we rest in one another.

-kg



 



No comments: