Friday, October 08, 2010

DID JESUS SAY THAT?



I’ve started to notice that the wisdom of Jesus is a bigger part of our collective intelligence than I ever realized before. Often at work I will hear people who are not followers of Jesus quote Him in their conversations with one another. This made me wonder just how many of the phrases we commonly use are actually attributed to the words of Jesus.

Here’s what I found:

Go the extra mile – Mt 5:40-42
The truth will set you free – John 8:32
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak – Mk 14:38
Beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing – Mt 7:15
The Good Samaritan – Lk 10:30
(He/she is) the salt of the earth – Mt 5:13
Don’t cast your pearls before swine – Mt 7:6
The blind leading the blind – Mt 15:14
Count the cost – Lk 14:28
Do unto others – Lk 6:27-31
The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing – Mt 6:3-4
Man does not live by bread alone – Lk 4:3-4
The Straight and Narrow Path – Mt 7:13-14
Turn the other cheek – Mt 5:38-40
The Prodigal returns – Lk 15:11-13

I think the next time I hear someone who is not a Christian use one of these phrases I’ll ask them if they realize that they’re quoting Jesus.

-kg

No comments: