Wednesday, February 13, 2008

IF YOU CAN'T VOTE FOR SOMEONE BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE...

PLEASE DON'T CALL YOURSELF AN AMERICAN

This news story (linked and partially quoted below) was something I couldn't help but comment on.

No matter who you intend to vote for in the upcoming Presidential election, please do not make your decision based on whether or not the candidate is the proper race. To do so is to turn back the clock and revisit the most shameful elements of our history as a nation of racists, bigots and morons.
-kg

**
Rendell: Race Factor Could Hurt Obama
FULL STORY

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Gov. Ed Rendell, one of Hillary Rodham Clinton's most visible supporters, said some white Pennsylvanians are likely to vote against her rival Barack Obama because he is black.

"You've got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African-American candidate," Rendell told the editorial board of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in remarks that appeared in Tuesday's paper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. In my idealistic world, I can't imagine anyone voting like this. However, when I recognize what reality in America is as it relates to racism, it doesn't surprise me. I wonder what Rendell's tone was with his remarks? Disgust? Matter of fact? Though his words may be true, he still has the responsibility to say how wrong it is. But then again...that may cost him votes. And you never want to cost yourself votes in the name of justice (tone=sarcasm)!